Re: __vmalloc with GFP_ATOMIC causes 'sleeping from invalid context'

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 03:34:15 EST

Giridhar Pemmasani wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:14:03 +1000, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Nick Piggin wrote:

>> OTOH, it doesn't seem to be particularly wrong to allow __vmalloc
>> GFP_ATOMIC allocations. The correct fix is to pass the gfp_mask
>> to kmalloc: if you're worried about breaking the API, introduce a
>> new __get_vm_area_node_mask() and implement __get_vm_area_node()
>> as a simple wrapper that passes in GFP_KERNEL.

> Oh, and __get_vm_area_node{_mask} should BUG_ON(in_interrupt());

With the patch I sent earlier, this may not be required: Since
__get_vm_area_node calls kmalloc, it should be taken care of in
kmalloc and friends. Currently cache_alloc_debugcheck_before doesn't
check for in_interrupt(); perhaps that is the right place to add

vmlist_lock is not irq safe. If you call it from interrupt, you can
deadlock.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.