Re: Linux Kernel Source Compression

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 15:10:20 EST

Alistair John Strachan wrote:
On Monday 22 May 2006 19:58, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[snip]
Personally, I would like to suggest adding LZMA capability to gzip.
The gzip format already has support for multiple compression formats.

Any idea why this wasn't done for bzip2?

Yes, the bzip2 author I have been told was originally planning to do that, but then thought it would be harder to deploy that way (because gzip is a core utility, and people are nervous about making it larger.)

You'd have to ask him for the details, though.

It *is* true that there is a fair bit of code out there which sees a gzip magic number and expects to call deflate functions on it, without ever checking the compression type field. However, even if there is a need for a new magic number, this can be done within the gzip code, or by forking gzip.

-hpa