Re: [IDEA] Poor man's UPS

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 22:02:14 EST

Exactly, and since I cannot afford to buy one I'd have to build it
myself using mainly car batteries. The most complex part would be to
charge the batteries in a way that won't kill them over time. Building
such stuff into the PSU after the secondary coil and AC/DC converter
would save the double-conversion loss, therefore making this ideal for a
single machine. But I'm still brainstorming, lacking both money and
time.

Led/acid batteries are dangerous. Don't use them unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Buy an intelligent charger for an RV. They're designed to do pretty much
exactly that (deep cycle marine batteries, probably).

M.