Re: 2.6.16-rc5: known regressions [TP 600X S3, vanilla DSDT]

From: Sanjoy Mahajan
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 13:12:40 EST

[Trimmed lists that seemed unrelated: v4l-dvb-maintainer@xxxxxxxxxxx,
video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx, linux-usb-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

> But this Samsung P35 don't have _GLK. So, I think TP 600x has
> a different problem with Samsung P35.

You're right. I tried 2.6.16.18, which has the smbus patch, but it
didn't help the resume. I need to test more whether it helps the fan,
but I doubt it will.

2.6.17-rc4 (with vanilla DSDT) does strange things to the fan. At
boot, the fan is often on. The trip point is 37 C (the DSDT default)
and temperature, say, 40 C. That's fine and the fan should be on.
But if I set the trip point to 45 C and the poll interval to 100
seconds, the fan remains on. I have to set the trip point and polling
interval a second time for the fan to turn off. With 2.6.16-rc5, it
would turn off after the first setting.

Also, and I need to check which kernel it is (either 2.6.16.18 or
2.6.17-rc4), during S3 sleep, the right speaker made a quiet hiss. I
imagine that will run down the battery pretty quickly. It's a new
behavior since 2.6.16-rc5.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
--Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.