Re: [patch] ACPI: reduce code size, clean up, fix validator message

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 15:58:12 EST

* Brown, Len <len.brown@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ingo,
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> An Andrew's advice a while back, Bob already got rid
> of the allocate part -- it just isn't upstream yet.
>
> Re: changing ACPICA code (sub-directories of drivers/acpi/) like this:
>
> >- flags = acpi_os_acquire_lock(acpi_gbl_gpe_lock);
> >+ spin_lock_irqsave(&acpi_gbl_gpe_lock, flags);
>
> I can't do that without either
> 1. diverging between Linux and ACPICA
> or
> 2. getting a license back from you to Intel such that Intel can
> re-distrubute such a change under the Intel license on the file and
> inventing spin_lock_irqsave() on about 9 other operating systems.

btw., regarding #2 i hereby put my patch (which i wrote in my free time)
into the public domain - feel free to reuse it in any way, shape or
form, under any license. (but it's trivial enough so i guess the only
copyrightable element is my changelog entry anyway ;)

> If this code were performance or size critical, I would still delete
> acpi_os_acquire_lock from osl.c, but would inline it in aclinux.h.

well its in the kernel so it's size critical by definition. But it's
certainly not a highprio thing.

Ingo