Re: CONFIG_PM_TRACE corrupts RTC

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 11:51:38 EST

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> On a Sony Vaio, after a suspend-to-disk and a resume, `hwclock' says
>
> The Hardware Clock registers contain values that are either invalid
> (e.g. 50th day of month) or beyond the range we can handle (e.g. Year
> 2095).
>
> and after a reboot the machine takes a trip back to 1969. Setting
> CONFIG_PM_TRACE=n prevents this.

That's how it works. It's by design. The RTC is where the trace events are
stored, since that's the only piece of hw that reliably survives a reboot.

The help-text says:

This enables some cheesy code to save the last PM event point in the
RTC across reboots, so that you can debug a machine that just hangs
during suspend (or more commonly, during resume).

Heh.

Linus