Serial: UART_BUG_TXEN race conditions

From: Ingo van Lil
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 16:06:29 EST

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working with Linux on a custom ASIC system with two crappy UART ports that show a behaviour quite similar to the problem that the UART_BUG_TXEN workaround is supposed to deal with. The interesting lines are in serial8250_start_tx (drivers/serial/8250.c:1127)

if (up->bugs & UART_BUG_TXEN) {
unsigned char lsr, iir;
lsr = serial_in(up, UART_LSR);
iir = serial_in(up, UART_IIR);
if (lsr & UART_LSR_TEMT && iir & UART_IIR_NO_INT)
transmit_chars(up);
}

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I see two possible race conditions with that piece of code:

1. What if the IIR actually equals UART_IIR_THRI at that point? The
read access will clear the interrupt condition and the workaround
will effect the actual opposite of its intention: Neither
serial8250_start_tx() nor the interrupt handler will start
transmitting characters for the ring buffer.

2. What if an interrupt is triggered shortly after reading the IIR?
Both serial8250_start_tx() and the interrupt handler will start
a transmission simultaneously.

Problem #1 should be quite easy to deal with: If the IIR read comes out as UART_IIR_THRI then the interrupt handler won't initiate a transmission, so we should. I'm not entirely sure how to deal with #2, though. Maybe it's enough to clear the THRE bit while transmitting characters, maybe some kind of locking is required.

Cheers,
Ingo