Re: [patch 2/6] [Network namespace] Network device sharing by view

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 12:01:17 EST

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 05:52:52AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> >> Routing is everything. For example, I want namespaces to have their
> >> private tunnel devices. It means that namespaces should be allowed
> >> have private routes of local type, private default routes, and so
> >> on...
> >>

> > Ok, we are talking about the same things. We do it only in a different way:
> >
> > * separate routing table :
> > namespace
> > |
> > \--- route_tables
> > |
> > \---routes
> >
> > * tagged routing table :
> > route_tables
> > |
> > \---routes
> > |
> > \---namespace
>
> There is a third possibility, that falls in between these two if local
> communication is really the bottle neck.
>
> We have the dst cache for caching routes and cache multiple
> transformations that happen on a packet.
>
> With a little extra knowledge it is possible to have the separate
> routing tables but have special logic that recognizes the local
> tunnel device that connects namespaces and have it look into the next
> namespaces routes, and build up a complete stack of dst entries of
> where the packet needs to go.
>
> I keep forgetting about that possibility. But as long as everything is
> done at the routing layer that should work.
>
> > I use the second method, because I think it is more effecient and
> > reduce the overhead. But the isolation is minimalist and only aims
> > to avoid the application using ressources outside of the container
> > (aka namespace) without taking care of the system. For example, I
> > didn't take care of network devices, because as far as see I can't
> > imagine an administrator wanting to change the network device name
> > while there are hundred of containers running. Concerning tunnel
> > devices for example, they should be created inside the container.
>
> Inside the containers I want all network devices named eth0!

huh? even if there are two of them? also tun?

I think you meant, you want to be able to have eth0 in
_more_ than one guest where eth0 in a guest can also
be/use/relate to eth1 on the host, right?

> > I think, private network ressources method is more elegant
> > and involves more network ressources, but there is probably a
> > significant overhead and some difficulties to have __lightweight__
> > container (aka application container), make nfs working well,
> > etc... I did some tests with tbench and the loopback with the
> > private namespace and there is roughly an overhead of 4 % without
> > the isolation since with the tagging method there is 1 % with the
> > isolation.
>
> The overhead went down?

yes, this might actually happen, because the guest
has only to look at a certain subset of entries
but this needs a lot more testing, especially with
a lot of guests

> > The network namespace aims the isolation for now, but the container
> > based on the namespaces will probably need checkpoint/restart and
> > migration ability. The migration is needed not only for servers but
> > for HPC jobs too.
>
> Yes.
>
> > So I don't know what level of isolation/virtualization is really
> > needed by users, what should be acceptable (strong isolation and
> > overhead / weak isolation and efficiency). I don't know if people
> > wanting strong isolation will not prefer Xen (cleary with much more
> > overhead than your patches ;) )

well, Xen claims something below 2% IIRC, and would
be clearly the better choice if you want strict
separation with the complete functionality, especially
with hardware support

> We need a clean abstraction that optimizes well.
>
> However local communication between containers is not what we
> should benchmark. That can always be improved later. So long as
> the performance is reasonable. What needs to be benchmarked is the
> overhead of namespaces when connected to physical networking devices
> and on their own local loopback, and comparing that to a kernel
> without namespace support.

well, for me (obviously advocating the lightweight case)
it seems improtant that the following conditions are met:

- loopback traffic inside a guest is insignificantly
slower than on a normal system

- loopback traffic on the host is insignificantly
slower than on a normal system

- inter guest traffic is faster than on-wire traffic,
and should be withing a small tolerance of the
loopback case (as it really isn't different)

- network (on-wire) traffic should be as fast as without
the namespace (i.e. within 1% or so, better not really
measurable)

- all this should be true in a setup with a significant
number of guests, when only one guest is active, but
all other guests are ready/configured

- all this should scale well with a few hundred guests

> If we don't hurt that core case we have an implementation we can
> merge. There are a lot of optimization opportunities for local
> communications and we can do that after we have a correct and accepted
> implementation. Anything else is optimizing too soon, and will
> just be muddying the waters.

what I fear is that once something is in, the kernel will
just become slower (as it already did in some areas) and
nobody will care/be-able to fix that later on ...

best,
Herbert