Re: USB input ati_remote autorepeat problem

From: John Daiker
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:08:06 EST

I have also experience this problem with the ati_remote driver, but didn't know the fix. If I am correct, the HZ always used to default to 1000HZ, but not it is configurable in the kernel as 1000HZ, 250HZ, or 100HZ. By my calculations, the FILTER_TIME will be at most 20% longer than before, but as little as 2% bigger.

HZ Old New % Difference
100 5 6 20%
250 12.5 13.5 8%
1000 50 51 2%

Those are my calculations based on your previously stated definitions. The FILTER_TIME const is only used 1 time in ati_remote.c, so I doubt there would be a problem redefining it. Would a redefinition to 50 be more appropriate (so keep the repeat delay the same across all platforms)?

Tonight I will recompile and test the driver with the 2 new definitions and report on my findings.

John

Marko Macek wrote:
Hello!

I have problems with autorepeat in ati_remote (drivers/usb/input) driver in "recent" kernels: all keys start repeating immediately without some delay.

This makes some things, like changing the channel prev/next or toggling fullscreen, etc... impossible/hard.

The problem seems to be related to FILTER_TIME and HZ=250 (which I forgot to change).

FILTER_TIME is defined to HZ / 20, and since 250 is not divisible by 20, the time will be too short to ignore enough events.

Defining FILTER_TIME to HZ / 20 + 1 seems to fix things, but I'm not sure if there are any bad side effects.

Mark