Re: [patch 2/6] [Network namespace] Network device sharing by view

From: jamal
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 09:53:16 EST

On Wed, 2006-28-06 at 15:36 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> note: personally I'm absolutely not against virtualizing
> the device names so that each guest can have a separate
> name space for devices, but there should be a way to
> 'see' _and_ 'identify' the interfaces from outside
> (i.e. host or spectator context)

Makes sense for the host side to have naming convention tied
to the guest. Example as a prefix: guest0-eth0. Would it not
be interesting to have the host also manage these interfaces
via standard tools like ip or ifconfig etc? i.e if i admin up
guest0-eth0, then the user in guest0 will see its eth0 going
up.

Anyways, interesting discussion.

cheers,
jamal