Re: [Suspend2][ 0/9] Extents support.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Wed Jun 28 2006 - 19:36:21 EST

Hi.

On Thursday 29 June 2006 00:42, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Nigel,
>
> On 6/28/06, Nigel Cunningham <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's because it's all so interconnected. Adding the modular
> > infrastructure is useless without something to use the modules. Changing
> > to use the pageflags functionality requires modifications in both the
> > preparation of the image and in the I/O. There are bits that could be
> > done incrementally, but they're minor. I did start with the same codebase
> > that Pavel forked, but then did substantial rewrites in going from the
> > betas to 1.0 and to 2.0.
>
> Hmm, so, if you leave out the controversial in-kernel stuff like, user
> interface bits, "extensible API", compression, and crypto, are you
> saying there's nothing in suspend2 that can be merged separately?

My point was that the architecture of Suspend2 is fundamentally different to
that of swsusp. Suspend2 features could potentially be added to swsusp, but
it would require a lot of work on swsusp. I've worked hard to make Suspend2
clean and ready for merging. I'm not claiming it's perfect (we've already
seen a few cleanups I missed), but I fail to see why I should be made to do
even more work on the old version when I've already said that getting from it
to Suspend2 involved substantial rewrites. Sure, I know where I'd be headed,
but it would be a huge waste of time and effort.

Regards,

Nigel
--
See http://www.suspend2.net for Howtos, FAQs, mailing