Re: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Thu Jun 29 2006 - 12:43:06 EST

> You're probably correct on that model. However, it all depends on the actual
> workload. Are people who actually have large-CPU (>256) systems actually
> running fork()-heavy things like webservers on them, or are they running things
> like database servers and computations, which tend to have persistent
> processes?

It may well be mostly as you say - the large-CPU systems not running
the fork() heavy jobs.

Sooner or later, someone will want to run a fork()-heavy job on a
large-CPU system. On a 1024 CPU system, it would apparently take
just 14 exits/sec/CPU to hit this bottleneck, if Jay's number of
14000 applied.

Chris Sturdivant's reply is reasonable -- we'll hit it sooner or later,
and deal with it then.

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability