Re: strict isolation of net interfaces

From: Daniel Lezcano
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 08:21:47 EST

Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg@xxxxxxxxxx):

we could work on virtualizing the net interfaces in the host, map them to
eth0 or something in the guest and let the guest handle upper network layers ?

lo0 would just be exposed relying on skbuff tagging to discriminate traffic
between guests.

This seems to me the preferable way. We create a full virtual net
device for each new container, and fully virtualize the device
namespace.

I have a few questions about all the network isolation stuff:

* What level of isolation is wanted for the network ? network devices ? IPv4/IPv6 ? TCP/UDP ?

* How is handled the incoming packets from the network ? I mean what will be mecanism to dispatch the packet to the right virtual device ?

* How to handle the SO_BINDTODEVICE socket option ?

* Has the virtual device a different MAC address ? How to manage it with the real MAC address on the system ? How to manage ARP, ICMP, multicasting and IP ?

It seems for me, IMHO that will require a lot of translation and browsing table. It will probably add a very significant overhead.

* How to handle NFS access mounted outside of the container ?

* How to handle ICMP_REDIRECT ?

Regards