Re: Linux v2.6.18-rc2

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Jul 16 2006 - 16:39:08 EST

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 09:41:34PM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:

> > David Woodhouse:
> > [SPARC64]: Fix make headers_install
> > hdrinstall: remove asm/irq.h from user visibility
> > hdrinstall: remove asm/atomic.h from user visibility
> > hdrinstall: remove asm/io.h from user visibility
>
> Why does the 'headers_install' target require a configured kernel?
> I just ran 'make headers_install INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/dev/shm/$$'

It installs linux/version.h that is generated.

But you are right, can't the rules for the version.h generation be more
relaxed?
Sam?

> Unrelated:
> Cant you just export all asm-<arch> files? I guess they are all static.

asm/atomic.h is a good example for abuses that are prevented by not
installing all asm-<arch> files.

For more information, please refer to the long discussion about this
topic currently taking place on this mailing list.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed