Re: libata pata_pdc2027x success on sparc64

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Tue Jul 18 2006 - 14:07:13 EST

Hello.

Mikael Pettersson wrote:

In contrast, the old IDE pdc202xx_new driver had lots
of problems with CRC errors causing it to disable DMA.

Hm, from my experience it usually falls back to UltraDMA/44 and then the thing startrt working...

I wasn't able to manually tune it above udma3 without
getting more errors. This isn't sparc64-specific: I've
had similar negative experience with the old IDE Promise
drivers in a PowerMac.

This happens because the "old" driver misses the PLL calibration code.
You may want to try these Albert's patches:

It looks like they were never considered for accepting into the kernel
while they succesfully solve this issue. Maybe Albert could try pushing them into -mm tree once more?

WBR, Sergei