Re: NFS and partitioned md

From: Frank van Maarseveen
Date: Thu Jul 20 2006 - 05:06:06 EST

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 10:30:01AM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Tuesday July 18, bugtraq@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my solution was to use fsid parameter for exports... maybe some other
> > mechanism for selecting fsids could be created instead of fsid = device
> > minor
>
> Yes. Better management of fsid is on my wishlist for nfs-utils.
> Unfortunately I haven't had any really clever ideas yet.

I'd like to "virtualize" exports such that it is possible to transplant
disks/partitions from one machine into another without having to bother
with device numbering. One step in that direction is to derive the fsid
from an IP address. The server machine needs an additional IP address
for every export entry. This IP address is determined by deriving
a hostname from the last pathname component of the export entry and
resolving it. E.g. something like:

/etc/exports:
/exported/path/name *(rw,sync,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid="nfs-%s")

This would set the fsid to the IP address of host "nfs-name".

--
Frank