Re: [take6 1/3] kevent: Core files.

From: Evgeniy Polyakov
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 03:26:12 EST

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:04:54AM -0700, Andrew Morton (akpm@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > This area can be decreased down to 70mb by reducing amount of
> > information placed into the buffer (only user's data and flags) without
> > additional hints.
> >

> 70MB is still very bad, naturally.

Actually I do not think that 4k events is a good choice - I expect people
will scale it to tens of thousands at least, so we definitely want not to
allow user to create way too many kevent fds.

> There are other ways in which users can do this sort of thing - passing
> fd's across sockets, allocating zillions of pagetables come to mind. But
> we don't want to add more.
>
> Possible options:
>
> - Add a new rlimit for the number of kevent fd's
>
> - Add a new rlimit for the amount of kevent memory
>
> - Add a new rlimit for the total amount of pinned kernel memory. First
> user is kevent.

I think this rlimit and first one are the best choises.

> - Account a kevent fd as being worth 100 regular fds, so the naughty user
> hits EMFILE early (ug).
>
> A new rlimit is attractive, and they're easy to add. Problem is, userspace
> support is hard (I think). afaik a standard Linux system doesn't have
> global and per-user rlimit config files which are parsed and acted upon at
> login. That would make rlimits more useful.

As for now it is possible to use stack size rlimit for example.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov