Re: VCD not readable under 2.6.18

From: wixor
Date: Thu Oct 19 2006 - 13:39:50 EST

On 10/19/06, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It isn't hidden it should be in the first session
So tell me then, where is it if windows can see it, but linux can't?

The kernel provides the infrastructure for arbitary CD handling, but
provides only the file system support in kernel. It can't (and doesn't
appear to need to) handle VCD in kernel it provides the tools to Xine
and friends instead.
Well, no doubt it is only m$ who can have vcd player in the kernel -
the point is the CD does NOT get read, neither by xine nor by any
other known to me tool. I asked here because the kernel is the only
source of any messages addressing the unplayability of the CD - all
the others just hang - so it looks like a kernel issue, doesn't it?
And as far as I understand you, you are trying to tell me it is
everything OK with the kernel, and the problem lays somewhere else,
yes?

wixor