Re: AHCI should try to claim all AHCI controllers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 00:23:19 EST

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> For the benefit of others, some background: we should not be -removing- any
> PCI IDs due to this, because quite often the PCI class code will be RAID or
> something else, yet still be drive-able with this ahci driver.

Well, it might obviously be worthwhile removing the PCI ID's that actually
do say that they are AHCI. Maybe that's not all of them, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it's actually the majority of them..

(We had the same issue with "PCI IDE controller". Some PCI IDE controllers
are clearly exactly that from a programming interface standpoint, but
because they support RAID in hardware, they claim to be RAID controllers,
since that is more "glamorous". Gaah ;^).

Linus