Re: 2.6.19-rc <-> ThinkPads

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed Nov 01 2006 - 17:38:09 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

I wonder if the order matters more, though. Andi? We _used_ to write the high word first, and I think the order matters. The low word contains the enable bit, for example, so when enabling an interrupt, you should write the low word last, when you disable it you should write the low word first.

Although you can argue that anyone coding here should be a guru, in practice things this subtle really would be helped by a comment in the initial code. I don't agree that "if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand." Clearly several competent people missed this dependency, or the patch would not have gone in.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a