Re: New filesystem for Linux

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 08:48:27 EST

On Fri, 3 November 2006 14:31:46 +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> Really it can batch any number of modifications into one transaction
> (unless fsync or sync is called). Transaction is closed only on
> fsync/sync, if 2 minutes pass (can be adjusted) or when the disk runs out
> of space.

Interesting. Let me pick an example and see where we're going from
there. You have four directories, A, B, C and D, none of which is the
parent of another. Two cross-directory renames happen:
$ mv A/foo B/
$ mv C/bar D/

This will cause four modifications, one to each of the directories. I
would have assumed that the modifications to A and B receive one
transaction number n, C and D get a different one, n+1 if nothing else
is going on in between.

To commit the first rename, n is written into cct[entry->cc]. To
commit both, n+1 is written instead. Committing the second
transaction without committing the first is not possible.

Now clearly we are disagreeing, so I must have misunderstood your
design somehow. Can you see how?

Jörn

--
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot