Re: Intel 82559 NIC corrupted EEPROM

From: thockin
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 01:29:13 EST

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 05:46:25PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Basically, Auke wants you to throw away your NIC and/or motherboard.
> Since you're effectively dead, the only damage you can do by disabling
> the check has already been done. This unfortunately seems to be fairly
> common with e100, especially for the on-motherboard version, and you
> basically have two options: either disable the check or write an offline
> tool to reprogram the EEPROM.

I have a tool to write the eepro100 EEPROM. Let me see if I can find it.
It even had all the default data coded, ready to restore a NIC to default.

However - back in the eepro100.c days, it was considered a warning only if
the EEPROM had a bad checksum. There were two "supported" formats for the
EEPROM, one of which was just the MAC address. And it worked!

Tim