Re: New filesystem for Linux

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Sat Nov 04 2006 - 05:53:24 EST

On Fri, 3 November 2006 11:00:58 -0800, dean gaudet wrote:

> it seems to me that you only need to be able to represent a range of the
> most recent 65536 crashes... and could have an online process which goes
> about "refreshing" old objects to move them forward to the most recent
> crash state. as long as you know the minimm on-disk crash count you can
> use it as an offset.

You really don't want to go down that path. Doubling the storage size
will double the work necessary to move old objects - hard to imagine a
design that scales worse.

CPU schedulers, btw, take this approach. But they cheat, as they know
the maximum lifetime of their objects (in-flight instructions, rename
registers,...) is bounded to n. Old objects are refreshed for free.
http://www.chip-architect.com/news/2003_09_21_Detailed_Architecture_of_AMDs_64bit_Core.html

Jörn

--
A defeated army first battles and then seeks victory.
-- Sun Tzu