Re: root NFS causes solid lockup, serial console no help, watchdogNMI won't function on Dual AMD system

From: Brad Barnett
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 14:07:03 EST

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:45:07 -0500
Brad Barnett <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of dual AMD Opteron system with differing motherboards.
> On both of these differing pieces of hardware, I can not enable the NMI
> watchdog timer, with nmi_watchdog=1. I constantly get:
>
> testing NMI watchdog ... CPU#0: NMI appears to be stuck (0->0)!
>
> This happens when booting with both Debian's packaged kernels, 2.6.17-2
> and 2.6.18-2. According to this page:
>
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt
>
> nmi_watchdog=2 does not work with AMD systems at this time.
>
> Both boxes, aside from this, boot fine. They use nfsroot, booting the
> kernel off of a local drive, and switching to nfsroot during the bootup.
>
> They work flawlessly for anywhere from a week to a few days, then lock
> up solid. I can not seem to reproduce this problem unless I am using
> nfsroot, and the above kernels seem fine without issue when booting and
> running off of a local drive.
>
> I can not get any information from a serial console, and just for fun I
> redirected syslog to another box, yet I did not see anything about the
> impending doom to come. The console itself is simply a blank screen,
> and the keyboard is dead...
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for tracking this bug down?
>
> Thanks

An update.

I just had a reoccurrence of this bug, without using NFS root. This is
under Debian's packaged 2.6.17-2, and the same issue occurred with
2.6.18-2. Total and complete system lockup. Serial console is fruitless.

I have been forced to downgrade to 2.6.9. Does anyone out there, have any
ideas for debugging this complete lockup in 2.6.17/2.6.18? It seems to be
NFS activity related, but I can not verify this at this point in time.