Re: 2.6.19-rc6-rt8: alsa xruns

From: Daniel Walker
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 11:25:06 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:

please talk to John and Thomas about GTOD interfaces. Right now the
solution used by the latency tracer is working out pretty OK - but if
something better comes along i can use that too. It's not a burning
issue though, unless you know of some bug. (i'm not sure what you mean
by it becoming constrictive)

It doesn't appear to handle clock switching, so for instance, if generic time switches from the tsc, to the acpi_pm would the latency tracer tolerate it ? Also a combination of HRT enabled, and a faulty acpi_pm would cause the tracer to use the PIT .. The PIT takes spinlocks during it's read so I'd imgaine the system would crash, or something else not so good.

Also with HRT enabled, you would end up using the acpi_pm even if the TSC is stable which is slower ..

That's what I mean when I say constrictive .

I've been working with John and Thomas to make the clocksource more usable (and lots of cleanups),

ftp://source.mvista.com/pub/dwalker/clocksource/clocksource-v8/

Daniel