Re: [patch] cpufreq: mark cpufreq_tsc() as core_initcall_sync

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 18:07:34 EST

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 11:16:46PM +0300, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
> On 11/29, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> >
> > 1. The spinlock version will be easier for most people to understand.
> >
> > 2. The atomic version has better read-side overhead -- probably
> > roughly twice as fast on most machines.
>
> synchronize_xxx() should be a little bit faster too

Good point.

> > 3. The atomic version will have better worst-case latency under
> > heavy read-side load -- at least assuming that the underlying
> > hardware is fair.
> >
> > 4. The spinlock version would have better fairness in face of
> > synchronize_xxx() overload.
>
> Not sure I understand (both 3 and 4) ...

The differences will be slight, and so hardware-dependent that they
don't mean much.

> > 5. Neither version can be used from irq (but the same is true of
> > SRCU as well).
>
> Hmm... SRCU can't be used from irq, yes. But I think that both versions
> (spinlock needs _irqsave) can ?

I didn't think you could call wait_event() from irq.

For the locked version, you would also need spin_lock_irqsave() or some
such to avoid self-deadlock.

For the atomic version, the fact that synchronize_qrcu() increments
the new counter before decrmenting the old one should mean that calls
to qrcu_read_lock() and qrcu_read_unlock() can be called from irq.
But synchronize_qrcu() must be called from process context, since it
can block.

This might well be important.

> > If I was to choose, I would probably go with the easy-to-understand
> > case, which would push me towards the spinlocks. If there is a
> > read-side performance problem, then the atomic version can be easily
> > resurrected from the LKML archives. Maybe have a URL in a comment
> > pointing to the atomic implementation? ;-)
>
> But it is so ugly to use spinlock to impement the memory barrier semantics!
>
> Look,
>
> void synchronize_xxx(struct xxx_struct *sp)
> {
> int idx;
>
> mutex_lock(&sp->mutex);
>
> spin_lock();
> idx = sp->completed++ & 0x1;
> spin_unlock();
>
> wait_event(sp->wq, !sp->ctr[idx]);
>
> spin_lock();
> spin_unlock();
>
> mutex_unlock(&sp->mutex);
> }
>
> Yes, it looks simpler. But why do we need an empty critical section? it is
> a memory barrier, we can (should?) instead do
>
> /* for wait_event() above */
> smp_rmb();
> spin_unlock_wait();
> smp_mb();
>
> Then,
>
> spin_lock();
> idx = sp->completed++ & 0x1;
> spin_unlock();
>
> means
> idx = sp->completed & 0x1;
> spin_lock();
> sp->completed++
> spin_unlock();
>
> Again, this is a barrier, not a lock! ->completed protected by ->mutex,
>
> sp->completed++;
> smp_mb();
> spin_unlock_wait(&sp->lock);
> /* for wait_event() below */
> smp_rmb();
>
> So in fact spinlock_t is used to make inc/dec of ->ctr atomic. Doesn't
> we have atomic_t for that ?
>
> That said, if you both think it is better - please send a patch. This is
> a matter of taste, and I am far from sure my taste is the best :)

Heck no! I was under the mistaken impression that you had coded and
tested both patches. If you have the atomic one working but the
spinlock one is not to that stage, I am all for going with the atomic
version. ;-)

> > > Note: I suspect that Documentation/ lies about atomic_add_unless(), see
> > >
> > > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=116448966030359
> >
> > Hmmm... Some do and some don't:
> >
> > i386: The x86 semantics, as I understand them, are in fact equivalent
> > to having a memory barrier before and after the operation.
> > However, the documentation I have is not as clear as it might be.
>
> Even i386 has non-empty mb(), but atomic_read() is a plain LOAD.

Ah -- I was forgetting the failure path. You are quite correct.

> > So either the docs or several of the architectures need fixing.
>
> I think its better to fix the docs.

I must defer to the two Davids...

Thanx, Paul