Re: What happened to CONFIG_TCP_NAGLE_OFF?

From: Matt Garman
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 12:22:03 EST

On 11/29/06, Phillip Susi <psusi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How might I achieve having TCP_NODELAY effectively set for all sockets
> (by default)? Is there a new/different kernel config option, a patch,
> a sysctl or proc setting? Or can I "fake" this behavior by, e.g.
> setting a send buffer sufficiently small?

This is a bad idea and breaks api compatibility. Nagle is very
important for sockets being used for things like telnet. Other
applications, like ftp, should already disable nagle themselves.

I don't want to change the API at all. I'm using a closed-source, 3rd
party library. Using strace, I can see that the library does *not* do
a setsockopt(...TCP_NODELAY...) on opened sockets. Since I can't
change the library, I would like to patch and/or configure my kernel
so that all TCP/IP sockets default to TCP_NODELAY.

Also, if my understanding of Nagle is correct, I think you have that
backwards: Nagle should be disabled (i.e. TCP_NODELAY) for telnet,
mouse movements, etc: we always want to send our packets, regardless
of size or previous packet ACK.

Thanks,
Matt