Linux slack space question

From: Maria Short
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 12:21:26 EST

I have a question regarding how the Linux kernel handles slack space.
I know that the ext3 filesystems typically use 1,2 or 4 KB blocks and
if a file is not an even multiple of the block size then the last
allocated block will not be completely filled, the remaining space is
wasted as slack space.

What I need is the code in the kernel that does that. I have been
looking at http://lxr.linux.no/source/fs/ext3/inode.c but I could not
find the specific code for partially filling the last block and
placing an EOF at the end, leaving the rest to slack space.

Please forward the answer to mgolod@xxxxxxxx as soon as possible.

Thank you very much.