Re: 2.6.19-git13: uts banner changes break SLES9 (at least)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 11 2006 - 11:54:32 EST

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Olaf Hering wrote:

> Please revert this change.

Well, that "get_kernel_version" is definitely buggered, and should be
fixed. And we do want the new behaviour for /proc/version.

So I don't think we should revert it, but we should:

- use separate strings for /proc/version and the static string. Because
there just isn't any point to sharing it that much, and the static
string might as well be made into __initdata, so you don't even lose
the 20-odd bytes of memory at run-time ;)

- strongly encourage "get_kernel_version" users to just stop using that
crap. Ask the build system for the version instead or something, don't
expect to dig it out of the binary (if you create an RPM for any other
package, you sure as _hell_ don't start doing strings on the binary and
try to figure out what the kernel is - you do it as part of the build)

What crud. I'm even slightly inclined to just let SLES9 be broken, just to
let people know how unacceptable it is to look for strings in kernel
binaries. But sadly, I don't think the poor users should be penalized for
some idiotic SLES developers bad taste.

Linus