Re: O_DIRECT question

From: Phillip Susi
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 11:59:33 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
You guys need to backup in this thread.

Every example of O_DIRECT here could be replaced with
calls to mmap(), msync(), and madvise() (or posix_fadvise).

In addition to being at least as fast as O_DIRECT,
these have the added benefit of using the page cache (avoiding reads for data already present, handling multiple
users of the same data, etc..).

Please actually _read_ the thread. In every one of my posts I have shown why this is not the case.

To briefly rehash the core of the argument, there is no way to asynchronously manage IO with mmap, msync, madvise -- instead you take page faults or otherwise block, thus stalling the pipeline.