Re: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 18:45:06 EST

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 01:31:09AM +0000, Oleg Verych wrote:

> > From: Rainer Weikusat
> > Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
> > Subject: Re: unfixed regression in 2.6.20-rc6 (since 2.6.19)
> > Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:34:56 +0100
>
> Hallo.
>
> > Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> []
> >> Please work to see what is wrong with the existing patch. Is there
> >> anything that I can do to help you out?
> >
> > This thing has consumed something like sixteen hours of my life in
> > total, with a gain-to-be-expected of exactly zero (I don't need to run
> > 'current' kernels on my work machine, I have just grown into the habit
> > of doing so) and those sixteen hours cannot come back (and I even have
> > had these type of discussions around 'should it rather look like math
> > or rather like text' in sufficent quantities :->), so, except that I
> > would be very much obliged to you if a fix for this issue could go
> > into the 'official' tree rather sooner than later, no.
>
> It's hot here.
>
> I'm in similar situation (even *usb-serial* driver [TI USB] led me there;)

No, not at all. Your situation is you object to the current way the USB
subsystem binds devices to drivers (well, interfaces), and wish to rip
the firmware out of a usb-serial driver that is working just fine right
now.

I still don't understand why you wish to take the firmware out and move
it to userspace, why do you want to do this?

Rainer's problem is a real bug in the USB driver code, which we need to
work on getting fixed, vastly different from your objections.

thanks,

greg k-h