Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc6 - sky2 resume breakage

From: Stephen Hemminger
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 18:48:08 EST

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:04:06 -0800 (PST)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> >
> > MSI works fine for almost all systems (except AMD systems where
> > MSI is broken for ALL devices).
>
> Why do you ignore reality?
>
> MSI does *not* work fine, exactly because the firmware screws it up.
>
> The fact that on a "hardware level" it may work is totally irrelevant. The
> *only* thing that matters is what people actually see.
>
> "Positivism" may not be a hot philosophy these days any more, but dang, it
> certainly is better than what you seem to espouse: "in theory things work
> fine".
>
> And if you don't like positivism, how about just simple scientific method:
> a theory is *proven*wrong* by a single observation to the opposite. And we
> have several people standing up saying that your theory is wrong.
>
> Linus

Why do you insist on maintaining the wrong initialization order
on resume? When I raised the issue, Len brought up that the resume
order did not match spec, but then there has been slow progress
in fixing it (it's buried in -mm tree).

--
Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>