Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Bob Copeland
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 13:38:47 EST

Putting the "codingstyle" control aside, often it's because things look
too hackish.

Also sometimes the authors know it's hackish, or just don't expect it
to be generally useful to the world. I happen to own an out-of-tree
filesystem which I have little desire to have reviewed for mainline:
only a dozen people use it at most, and I know it would get pinged
mercilessly for using buffer heads and general insanity if it ever
made it past "use FUSE instead" (which would admittedly be a perfectly
fine response). It works though, so I keep it up to date with the VFS
changes.

I do have some interest in working on various device drivers, though.
Greg, assuming this somehow kicks off some avalanche of specs, will
there be a ML for hooking up driver writers with specs and willing
users?

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com