Re: Rewriting floppy.c was Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 16:47:08 EST

On Wed, 2007-01-31 19:24:54 +0100, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How much different hardware does the (old)floppy.c do? I imagine that
> today, where floppies phase out, there will be, in descending order:
>
> * USB floppy drives (atm handled by sd.c, could be better to have sf.c)
> * FDCs on mainboards
> * 1.44M drives
> * 1.2M drives
>
> Even a working 2.88M, as cool as it sounds, never landed in my hands ever
> since I've been into computing. Perhaps the oldest, smallest disk I once

I do own a machine that has one :) Those original IBM PS/2 machines
had them.

On the other hand, Linux' floppy.c could do a bit better to help
archiveing some of the scurrile floppy formats. There is at least one
floppy imaging project to store floppy images for uncommon formats. It
would be nice it the Linux driver could handle something like that...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx +49-172-7608481
Signature of: Alles wird gut! ...und heute wirds schon ein biÃchen besser.