Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 17:04:43 EST

On Wed, 2007-01-31 22:56:03 +0100, Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:13:12PM +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-01-30 21:23:34 +0100, Diego Calleja <diegocg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > El Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:31:01 +0100 (MET), Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:
> > >
> > > Sure, Linux doesn't support vax and the like, but it does support lots of
> > > architectures that matter. In http://netbsd.org/Ports/#ports-by-cpu there's a
> >
> > Well, there *is* a 2.6.x based VAX port, though it needs some updates
> > to incorporate the last few months of upstream development. But NetBSD
> > still does better hardware support.
>
> a few years ago, I installed NetBSD 1.6 on my VLC4000. It hanged every now
> and then (several times a month). I finally tried OpenBSD 3.1 and it never
> hanged nor crashed since. It's been running 3.7 fine from its release till
> now. I don't know if NetBSD's VAX support has stabilized now, but I thought
> it might be of interest to you to be aware that at least another OS runs
> fine on this hardware.

Already knew that :) There isn't much traffic on the VAX related
development lists (neither for *BSD not for Linux), but things are
slowly progressing. These days, we try to work together (eg. we wrote
a graphics driver or two together, after we disassembled the machine's
ROMs.) So unfortunately the userbase is small, but we perfectly work
together.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx +49-172-7608481
Signature of: The real problem with C++ for kernel modules is: