Re: 2.6.20-rc6 ramdisk problem

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 18:57:52 EST

Michal Piotrowski wrote:
Hi,

I want to create a large ramdisk - 1GB

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=1
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_BLOCKSIZE=1024

kernel comman line: ramdisk_size=1000000

..

With ramdisk_size=500000 everything is ok.

machine
CPU P4 (ia32)
2 GB RAM

Is this is a hardware (arch) or software limitation? Maybe a bug?

Regards,
Michal

I'm not sure if there's an inherent max ramdisk size limit, however I should point out that in most cases, using a tmpfs or ramfs file system is better than old-style ramdisks. Those filesystems return unused memory to the kernel (ramdisks statically allocate the entire space) and also avoid the filesystem overhead of ramdisks (the files are mapped into pagecache directly).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx