Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 20:09:23 EST

Randy Dunlap wrote:
On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 18:00:15 -0500 Theodore Tso wrote:
..
More specifically, Dave said that it "seemed rude" to just take the
driver and send updates, but maybe the best way of dealing with
out-of-tree drivers like lirc is to treat the out-of-tree drivers as a
kind of spec release, and just have someone in the community forcibly
take the code, fix it up, and then get it merged. Maybe it's being
"rude", but so is not responding to requests to get it merged.

I believe a BIG reason why lots of open-source drivers are out-of-tree
right now, is because lkml is perceived as being wayyyyyy too fussy
and petty about 80-column lines, brackets, etc.. for new code.

It's just not worth the effort/abuse for many maintainers to pursue it.

and I'm quite willing to apply Doc/CodingStyle to driver source file(s).
That's as easy as replying to an email with comments about it.

That's a very decent offer, and exactly what's needed here!

Cheers