Re: 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

From: Len Brown
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 23:27:32 EST

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 04:26, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:06:45 +0100
> Olivier Galibert <galibert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 08:45:28PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > -x86_64-mm-share-whats-shareable.patch
> > > -x86_64-mm-only-call-unreachable_devices-when-type-1-is-available.patch
> > > -x86_64-mm-only-map-whats-necessary.patch
> > > -x86_64-mm-detect-and-support-the-e7520-and-the-945g-gz-p-pl.patch
> > > -x86_64-mm-reserve-resources-but-only-when-were-sure-about-them.patch
> >
> > Want me to update these? And maybe the other mmconfig related ones if
> > I can find them.
> >

> Thanks. That depends upon which of Andi or Len merges first.
>
> If Andi goes first, then Len has rather a bit of hackwork to do.
>
> If Len goes first then things are probably simpler, but that ACPI codedrop
> is very new and might have problems. We wouldn't want to hold the x86
> merge back because of it.

I think chances are actually quite good we'll be able to proceed with
pushing the ACPI table re-write immediately upon 2.6.21 open.

Note that while it is sort of big text-wise, it isn't that complicated --
and failures in this type of code tend to be massively obvious boot failures.
Note also that 2.6.20-rc6-mm3 is not the maiden voyage to -mm for this code.
It has been there several times before as it has matured.

The table re-write broke the HP simulator -- but I think we can fix that quickly.
I don't know yet what broke the HP rx2600.
The sysfs branch is what broke the button and the Altix boot.
Sysfs may or may not go upstream at 2.6.21 open -- but that isn't
the code you are conflicting with here so that is moot.

cheers,
-Len