Re: [ANN] Userspace M-on-N threading model implementation. Alpharelease.

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 11:13:06 EST

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
I described in details why and how M:N model better, and its drawbacks
include all issues mentioned by Ulrich Drepper, but nevertheless its
advantages are far too superiour than those which can be
provided by 1:1
model.

M:N threading is an unnecessary performance hack that's needed by people
who are living in a C or C++ exile away from some language that has
lexical closures, generators or first-class continuations.

Yes, that's called the "real world." Arguments of the "I don't need it, in a perfect world you wouldn't either, therefore it's a bad idea" type simply contribute nothing.

Because user threading can avoid context switches, there will always be cases where it will outperform o/s threads for hardware reasons.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>