Re: SATA exceptions with 2.6.20-rc5

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 00:48:45 EST

Björn Steinbrink wrote:
On 2007.01.24 01:39:23 +0100, Björn Steinbrink wrote:
On 2007.01.23 17:18:43 -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
Larry Walton wrote:
The last patch (sata_nv-force-int-dev-in-interrupt.patch) seems to have fix the problem. Much appreciated, thank you. I'd consider it a must have in 2.6.20.
Can any of the rest of you that have been seeing this problem also confirm that this fixes it?
Seems to work for me, uptime is about an hour now and no exception yet.
Had the stress test running for only about 10 minutes, but I usually got
an exception within an hour even during plain irssi usage, so I'm quite
confident that the patch fixes it.

Or maybe not :( Just got an exception on 2.6.20-rc6. Took 4 days of
uptime to trigger, so it's just a lot harder to trigger now.

Same exception details as before?

There's a patch in -mm (sata_nv-use-adma-for-nodata-commands.patch) which should hopefully avoid this problem for the cache flush commands, at least - can you try that one out? You'll have to apply the other sata_nv patches in -mm first, i.e. this order:

http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.20-rc6/2.6.20-rc6-mm3/broken-out/sata_nv-cleanup-adma-error-handling-v2.patch
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.20-rc6/2.6.20-rc6-mm3/broken-out/sata_nv-cleanup-adma-error-handling-v2-cleanup.patch
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.20-rc6/2.6.20-rc6-mm3/broken-out/sata_nv-use-adma-for-nodata-commands.patch

--