Re: 2.6.20-rc7: known regressions (v2) (part 1)

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 02:43:35 EST

Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> This email lists some known regressions in 2.6.20-rc7 compared to 2.6.19
>> that are not yet fixed in Linus' tree.
>>
>> If you find your name in the Cc header, you are either submitter of one
>> of the bugs, maintainer of an affectected subsystem or driver, a patch
>> of you caused a breakage or I'm considering you in any other way possibly
>> involved with one or more of these issues.
>

>> Subject : e1000: 82571EB/82572EI PCI-E cards: link is always down
>> (MSI related)
>
> I probably can't fix this bug. Not only do I doubt that the e1000 driver is at
> fault here, I don't have a system with this particular chipset. Most likely the
> regression comes from a combination of MSI layer rewrites and possibly platform
> issues. We've seen many reports that are similar and all are on the platform
> type mentioned here. I really don't want to point fingers here either.
>
> None of the MSI code in e1000 has changed significantly either. as far as I can
> see, the msi code in e1000 has not changed since 2.6.18. Nonetheless there's no
> way I can debug any of this without a system.
>
> I will address the fact that we are lacking any of these systems to test on, but
> that is not going to get this issue handled (not to mention soon) in the way it
> needs to be.
>
> I strongly encourage the people on the linux-pci list to help out, I'll trace
> the e1000 driver for suspicious activity (again), but I run countless tests on
> the latest trees and nothing has shown up recently, other than Eric Biederman's
> msi irq reclaim leak fix.
>
> Perhaps Adam can git-bisect this issue? Adam?

Do we have any explanation about the weird /proc/interrupts output?
i.e. Multiple MSI irqs being assigned to the same card?

Does /sbin/ifconfig ethN down ; /sbin/ifconfig ethN up have anything to do
with the duplication in /proc/interrupts?

I can't see any way for a pci device that doesn't support msi-x to be assigned
multiple interrupts simultaneously.

I just skimmed through the code and there hasn't been any significant
generic MSI work since 2.6.19.

Did this device really work with MSI enabled in 2.6.19?

Eric