Re: 2.6.20-rc7: known regressions (v2) (part 1)

From: Adam Kropelin
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 23:45:35 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
"Adam Kropelin" <akropel1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Can I get the corresponding lspci -xxx output. I suspect the BIOS
did not program the hypertransport MSI mapping capabilities
correctly. All it has to do is set the enable but still,
occasionally BIOS writers miss the most amazing things.

Here you go. This is from 2.6.20-rc7.

Thanks. Conclusion. I could not find bit 16 (the enable bit) set in
any of your hypertransport msi mapping capabilities.

So MSI interrupts won't work until someone enables your chipset
to transform them into hypertransport interrupts.

Naive question... Can the pci layer (or e1000) detect that MSI is not enabled in the hardware and avoid using it in that case? With the number of MSI problems showing up it seems risky to assume it's usable on any given platform without some sort of sanity check.

--Adam