Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Alan
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 17:08:49 EST

> > Really? Including the 'Scanner driver' card which arrived with my
> > scanner?
>
> Can you read? Can you UNDERSTAND?
>
> This is exactly my point.
>
> If it's not obviously a SCSI card, then it shouldn't be "depends on SCSI".
> It should be on its own and "select SCSI".

It works both ways. If I don't need to know that I must select SCSI then
it turns on easily. If I want to turn SCSI off then it causes mayhem. Two
sides of the same coin.

What is missing from the current config tools is that when you try and
turn SCSI off you can't. If there is a "really turn it off" button, then
you get told

Disabling SCSI will disable
USB scanner
Foo
Bar

Disable Y/N

it fixes Dave's problem.

There are great examples of this - trying to kill off the I2C bus in a
small build is one of the most painful. Yes users shouldn't need to know
to turn it on, but it does need a way to turn it back off sanely.

Alan