Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 18:09:55 EST

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> I think the problem is "who is make *config" for?".

Absolutely.

> Linus wants it to be for (unadvanced) users, but they tend to just
> use distro kernels and distro configs, according to David, and I
> agree with that.

Well, the thing is, according to that logic, we might as well go back to
the pre-Kconfig language entirely.

I want people to feel that compiling their own kernel is *simple*.

I also feel that a lot of people are "advanced" in one area, but not
necessarily in another. The Netfilter example I gave was one such personal
gripe of mine. I just feel like I shouldn't need to care! Yeah, I have the
knowledge, but I *still* want to be baby-fed with just a simple "anybody
can understand it".

The same is true of the whole SATA/USB/SCSI thing. I know damn well that
the kernel uses the SCSI layer for USB and SATA, yet I feel that the ATA
layer does it right, and I just find the USB storage situation to be
*offensively* bad in this regard. Why the HELL does it have those big
comments and warnings, when it could just damn well enable SCSI support
itself?

So even advanced users aren't necessarily advanced outside their own
area of expertise (I have no clue what I2C crud I'd need for some DVB
card or even regular video card - or even *if* I need it). And even when
they are advanced, they don't mind simple questions.

This is not something where it's "good to be hard to use" (if those things
even exist anywhere else either..)

> > Claiming that "select" is evil is just totally strange.
>
> It's a real problem for developers who actually try to modify
> configs.

Why? You could *trivially* have a tool tell you. Make "xconfig" or
something just pop up a window saying "sorry, you can't disable SCSI,
because you've got ATA enabled, and ATA wants SCSI".

What's the big deal, here?

Linus