Re: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 20:10:39 EST

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:21:34PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> But Alan makes a reasonable suggestion -- we could work around this in
> the tools too.

I wouldn't call it "work around this" in the tools. It's a useful
feature we can add in the tools for developers who aren't men enough
to use "sed/grep" pipelines. :-)

But I have to agree with Linus here that we should be optimizing the
tools for people who know how to compile the kernel, but who aren't
necessarily familiar with all of the hidden dependencies in the
literally hundreds of config options in the kernel tree. In reality,
you want to make it easy to turn on *or* off any arbitrary config
option, and to understand what you need to do so you can turn an
arbitrary config option on or off. If that means tools enhancements,
so be it.
- Ted