Re: Free Linux Driver Development!

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 10:13:47 EST

Stefan Seyfried wrote:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:14:31AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 05:24:28PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:

What? Throw a fresh-faced newbie instantly into the tar-pit of despair
that floppy.c is? Do you want everyone just to run screaming from
kernel development never to be seen again?

:)
Other than with the ISA drivers example, at least everyone has the hardware... ;-)

Wrong. I abandoned all floppy drives some years ago. I'd actually
vote for removing the floppy driver from the kernel completely.

Is that your model of how the kernel should work? Take out anything you don't personally need?

I'm guesstimating the 20-30% of the old laptops I rehab on Linux for kids who have none lack the ability to boot off CD. Or write a CD, for that matter. The ability of Linux to run on old hardware is another advantage over commercial systems.

Well, at work i probably have an USB floppy lying around somewhere,
but i doubt that it uses floppy.c ;-),

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>