Re: [discuss] [patch] mtrr: fix issues with large addresses

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 14:09:54 EST

"Andreas Herrmann" <andreas.herrmann3@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:54:23AM -0700, ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> > Good point.
>> >
>> > I totally ignored that on 64 bit cpus in legacy mode
>> > - PAE-paging means up to 52 physical address bits respectively
>> > "physical address size of the underlying implementation"
>> > - for non-PAE-paging with PSE enabled we have 40 bits for AMD and
>> > with PSE36 36 bits for Intel
>>
>> For non PAE-paging you have 32bits.
>
> You are referring to current Linux implementation?
> The AMD64 architecture increased physical address size in PSE mode to
> 40 bits. So at least it would be possible to use more than 32 bits.

How do you get 40 physical bits in a 32bit page table entry? My memory
is that the low bits in the page table entry were well defined and
accounted for. I'm pretty certain I can account for 6 of the low bits
off the top of my head. PSE is the page size extension allowing pages 2MB/4MB
pages.

PAE (physical address extension) gives you a 64bit page table entry
and where you have a place for all of those extra physical bits kick
as I recall. The limit is 52 bits and current cpus talk about support
40 bits with AMD in the process of going to 48 bits.

Is there a feature I have overlooked?
That would allow 40 bits with PSE?

>> Yes. So base needs to be come a u64.
>
> I was afraid you'ld say that.
>
>> So base = ((base_hi << 32) | base_lo) >> PAGE_SHIFT.
>>
>> I see where the 44bit limit comes in. Do you actually have boxes
>> with > 16TB?
>
> No, I don't have access to such a box. Would be nice though.
>

>> Regardless it looks like base and possibly size needs to become
>> a u64. At which time the extra >> PAGE_SHIFT could be meaningless.
>> Either that or because base and size need to be sized in something like
>> megabytes.
>>
>> I suspect making it a u64 sized in bytes will get the job done and
>> result in simpler code.
>
> Right you are!

> Ok, it is best to do (3).
> I will come up with another patch asap.