Re: 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 06 2007 - 17:56:56 EST

* Daniel Walker <dwalker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 23:08 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > sorry but that's precisely what your suggestion above results in:
>
> I'm not trying to suggest we "fake" anything. Your just
> misunderstanding me.. [...]

as i pointed it out in the previous mail, the problem is that what you
suggested results in preisely that - a count in the wrong place:

> If we change the current "timer" entry to be listed as "lapic-timer"
> and not "IO-APIC-edge" (or one of the other names) and replace it with
> the count from LOC

changing the current 'timer' entry (which is line 2 of /proc/interrupts)
to be 'listed as lapic-timer' and to 'replace it with the count from
LOC' is faking a count in a line where nothing like that should be.

the kernel simply displays reality: IRQ#0 isnt increasing because it's
not used, and LOC (local apic timers) is increasing.

Ingo