Re: One-shot high-resolution POSIX timer periodically late

From: John
Date: Wed Feb 07 2007 - 05:17:18 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

John wrote:

Ingo Molnar wrote:

2.6.18-rt7 is pretty old, do you see the problem in 2.6.20-rc6-rt5 too?

Ingo, Thomas,

I cannot reproduce in 2.6.20-rc6-rt6, but it is not strictly an apples-to-apples comparison because I get a tsc clocksource in 2.6.20-rc6-rt6, and an acpi_pm clocksource in 2.6.18.6-rt7.

That suggests that the TSC was not deemed reliable by the newer kernel, which almost always means it's not realiable. I think the problems you were seeing are consistent with TSC being non-monotonic - so the fix is to not use the TSC - and the newer kernel does this automatically.

Ingo,

Perhaps you've mis-read my message?

*2.6.18.6-rt7* installed an acpi_pm clocksource. When I used a boot parameter to force the clocksource to tsc, the high-resolution timer infrastructure broke (timers expired several *ms* too late).

On the other hand, *2.6.20-rc6-rt6* and *2.6.20-rt2* both installed a tsc clock source, and it works.

Therefore, it is not the newer kernel that ignored the tsc, but the older kernel. Thus I don't know what to make of your comment :-)

Regards,

John