Re: Size of kernel modules

From: Robert P. J. Day
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 08:42:24 EST

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 05:05:34PM +0200, Christoph Pleger wrote:
> > So, my question is the follwing: Is it an expected feature that the file
> > sizes of modules grow so much only because of a different cpu type and a
> > different localversion, or is there probably a bug in my build tools?
>
> The kernel is compiled with debug info so that we can strip it later to
> build two packages, one with debugging information intact, and one
> without it.
>
> If you disable CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL, things should go back to normal
> sizes for you.

grow so much compared to *which other modules*? the ones that came
with your distro? if that's the case, try installing your new modules
with

# make INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install

that makes a *huge* difference in the size of the installed modules,
as i learned when i first ran across this on my fedora core system.

rday